Thursday, May 31, 2012

(com)PATRIOTS

Here is a recent image of two gentlemen who attended one of our recent "Faces of Freedom" portrait sessions at Dietert Senior Center.  The image is actually a composite.  The background wasn't all that great so I switched it out for something more appropriate.  (Photoshop to the rescue!)
{com}PATRIOTS
Kerrville, Texas

In case you're interested in a peek behind the curtain... here is the original image:
See, I told you the background wasn't all that great! 

I decided to use this image as the background: 
I took it on a field trip to Willow City Loop.  We stopped in Sandy, Texas and went inside the old schoolhouse and found lots of cool stuff in there including an American Flag hanging on the crackled, old chalkboard.  I wasn't sure what I'd do with the image but I thought it might come in handy someday - and, it did!

I extracted the two men from their bad background and made some minor corrections (color balance, contrast, sharpen).  Then, I plopped them in front of their new and improved background.  To better marry the the two separate images together I added a very subtle texture layer on top - which is one of the 'tricks of the trade' to making believable composites.  I slapped on a vignette and called it done!

No comments:

Post a Comment