Monday, August 22, 2011

My I♥Faces Photo Challenge Entry: Pets

Nicky

Details...

Canon 5D with EF 85mm f/1.8 USM lens

ISO 200     f/1.8     1/160

Spot metered on her furry face right between the eyes because this is definitely a situation where your camera's light meter can be fooled.  I wanted to make sure the cat was properly exposed.



Here's the resulting shot SOOC:
Definitely not the world's greatest shot but oh, those eyes... there was just something about those beautiful golden eyes that appealed to me.  So, I spiffed it up a bit and here's how:



First, I did my normal adjustments in ACR (Adobe Camera RAW) - a little bit of exposure adjusting, added some contrast - you know, the usual stuff. I also used the Adjustment Brush in ACR to lighten up her eyes just a little bit. Then, I opened up the image in Photoshop CS5 and cropped it.



Nicky is an outside cat and her fur is a little rough so to soften it up a bit
I ran a free Photoshop action called Soft Summer (in the Summer Days set) that I got from Pure Photoshop Actions.  (I masked off the effects of the action on her eyes, nose, mouth, and whiskers with a Layer Mask so they remained sharp.)



Next, I added two textures from Shadowhouse Creations:

     Pollution (from this set) - Blend Mode on Multiply at 15% opacity

     Canvas 1 (from this set) - Blend Mode on Multiply at 100% opacity



Finally, I added a grungy border.  That's all there was to it!
Hop on over to I Heart Faces to see the rest of the entries:

3 comments:

  1. love the textures on this photo. beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful cat! I love your editing and textures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the SOOC as well as the edited photo. Beautiful cat! Very talented.

    ReplyDelete